Friday, December 4, 2015

Letters to Ella

All photographs taken by our favorite: Laurin Lee Photography


Dear Ella,

When I was pregnant with you and your brothers, I had no inkling whatsoever if you would be girls or boys.  I just didn't.  Well, I did a bit with Carter, but it was a strong sense that he was a girl, so I didn't think much of my ideas after that.  Each time, though, I had this one word that came up all the time.  Just ALL the time as I thought about you, prayed for you, daydreamed about you.  When I thought of Carter, I thought of strength.  When I thought of Samuel, it was always grace.  Just a few weeks before you were born, I wrote that the one word that always came to mind when I thought of you was joy.

Nailed it.


Ella, you are willing to throw your head back when you don't get your way, lift your feet above your ears to avoid standing, and scream when you want things.  You pull your brothers' hair and are happy to bite them if they really make you mad.  You will fight long and hard for your way and will give up all dignity in the name of securing more snacks.

That's all true.

Oh but Ella, you are still our joy-girl.  You give these big smiles that show all your teeth and none of your eyes.  You say, "PEESSSSSSS" to secure the things you want and you make faces to make people laugh.  You are easy going and content, and you love chasing your "boyzzzz" everywhere they go.  You are completely fearless, leaving me darting behind you everywhere you go, pulling you from all the high surfaces on which you have precariously perched.  


If I lean down and you are anywhere nearby, you immediately charge to me, arms outstretched and your mouth wide open in a smile and launch yourself in your arms.  Hundreds of times a day.  It is a good, good gift to me Ella.  You remind me so much of Ma...she would be so proud that you share her name.  She was as tough as you are...and had the same contagious joy.  She LOVED people...and she did it so well.  I saw her in those Kennedy eyes of yours Ella-girl.  I love that.


You are starting to say all the things these days.  All your ending "er" sounds are "ee" sounds.  (Water is "watee," brothers is "brudees", etc.)  We love getting you to say things and you love making us smile.  It's so fun having a little performer.  You still bat your eyelashes at people, and you have a distinct, angry grunt when you are mad.  You pass out kisses like candy on Halloween, and your walk is so close to becoming a run.  When I ask if you are ready to get out of bed, you toss your paci with authority in the crib to secure your freedom, and you still love being rocked to sleep every night.  Your favorite goods are banana, muffins, and yogurt...but you'll eat most things.  Except the first bite of EVERYTHING is a battle.  

You are fun and funny.  You are a puzzle and you are easy.  You are laid back and a firecracker.  You're my girl and I'm really glad you're mine.


Ella, I'm so glad you're a part of our worlds.  It's super fun being your mama, and I can't imagine a better way to spend my days.  I love you.  I love you.  I love you.

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment